Packing, size and content requirement for registered and insured articles and
- Size of the registered and insured articles and parcels should be with in
prescribed limits. For details relevant clauses of Post Office Guide –Part-I may
- Weight of registered / insured letter should not exceed 2 Kg. Weight of parcel
not to exceed 10 kg. If posted or addressed to branch office and 20 Kg. for
other offices. Weight of book packet and pattern & Sample pattern should not
exceed 5 Kg. and 2Kg. respectively.
- Registered Packet should be without a cover or in unfastened envelope.
- Parcel should be packed in a strong case / wrapper or cover. For details for
different kind of contents relevant clauses of Post Office Guide Part-I may be
- Insured letters and parcels should not be insured beyond the value of INR. 600/-
at Branch Post Office and INR.1, 00,000/- at other Post Offices. Limit is
20,000/- in case of currency notes.
- Letter / parcel for insurance must be enclosed in a strong cover and securely
fastened and sealed with fine wax bearing a private mark placed or each flap or
seam of the cover / container.
- Amount of insurance must be written in words and figure without the eraser or
correction on the cover.
- Anything which is sent in contravention of any enactment for the time being in
- Any indecent or obscene printing, painting, photograph, lithograph, engraving,
book or card, or any other indecent or obscene articles.
- Any letter, postcard, newspaper, packet or parcel having on it or on the cover
thereof, any words, marks or design of an indecent, obscene, seditious,
scurrilous threatening, or grossly offensive nature.
- Any explosive, inflammable, dangerous, filthy, noxious or deleterious substance.
- Any Living creatures or other thing which is either noxious or likely to injure
postal article in course of transmission by post or any officer.
- Tickets proposal or advertisement or any other matter relating to a lottery
except to the lottery organized or authorized by Government.
- Gold coins or bullion or both of a value exceeding Rs. 20,000/-.