The Financial service offered by Post office includes Savings and Postal Life Insurance (PLI) / Rural Postal Life Insurance (RPLI). The Post Office small savings scheme provides a secure, risk free and attractive investment option for the small investors and offers the savings products across its 155000 Post offices.
The Post Office savings bank is the oldest and by far the largest banking system in the country, serving the investment need of both urban and rural clientele. These services are offered as an agency service for the Ministry of Finance, Government of India. Several products on offer serve various investment requirements of the customers.
- Savings Bank account (SB): Serves the need of regular deposits and withdrawals. Cheque facility is also available.
- Recurring Deposit account (RD): Offers a monthly investment option with a handsome return at the end of five years with option to extend the account period. Insurance cover facility is also available with some conditions.
- Monthly Income Scheme (MIS): Offers a fixed investment option for five years with monthly interest payment facility. The facility of automatic credit of interest to SB account available.
- Public Provident Fund (PPF): Offers intermittent deposits subject to certain limits for a 15 year period coupled with income tax exemptions subject to certain conditions, on the investment. Loan and withdrawal facilities also available.
- Time Deposit (TD): Fixed deposit option for periods ranging from one, two, three to five years with facility to draw yearly interest offered at compounded rates. Automatic credit facility of interest to SB account.
- Senior Citizens Savings Scheme (SCSS): Offers fixed investment option for senior citizens for a period of five years, which can be extended, at a higher rate of interest that are paid in quarterly installments.
- National savings certificates (NSC) (VIII) issue: With a fixed investment for 5 years on certificates of varied denominations. Pledging facility available for availing loan from Banks.
- National Savings certificates (IX) issue: Fixed investment tenure of 10 years.
Post Office also offers Insurance product through Postal Life Insurance (PLI) and Rural Postal Life Insurance (RPLI) schemes with low premium and high bonus.
Postal Life Insurance (PLI)
Eligibility: All Government servants and employees of Government aided institutions with certain conditions.
- Whole Life Assurance (Suraksha)
- Endowment Assurance (Santhosh)
- Convertible Whole Life Assurance (Suvidha)
- Joint Life Insurance (Yugalasuraksha)
- Anticipated Endowment Assurance (Sumangala)
- Children’s Policy
Rural Postal Life Insurance (RPLI)
Eligibility: For people residing in rural areas.
- Whole Life Insurance (Grama Suraksha)
- Endowment Assurance (Grama Santhosh)
- Convertible Whole Life (Grama Suvidha)
- Anticipated Endowment (Grama Sumangala)
- 10 year Rural PLI (Grama Priya)
- Children Policy
Besides its own products, Department of Post also provide new pension scheme to the citizens of the country.