India Post entrusted with the Universal Service Obligation of increasing access to basic postal facilities throughout the country. Even though India has the largest postal network in the world, with over 1.55 lakh post offices, including 89% in the rural are, there continues to be a demand for post offices. There is a constant demand from customers to open more post offices especially in newly developing urban agglomerations.
To meet this India post had introduced the franchise scheme through which the counter services are to be franchised, while delivery and transmission will be continued through the Department. The franchisee will provide service across the counter for a minimum defined time schedule with flexibility to work round the clock.
What can be offered by Franchise outlet?
- Sale of stamps and stationery.
- Booking registered articles, speed post articles, money orders.
- Functioning as an agent for Postal Life Insurance (PLI) and provide related after sales service, including collection of premium.
- Retail services like bill/tax/fine collection/payment services of the Department.
- Facilitating the provision of e-governance and citizen centric services.
- Any other service introduced by the Department in future through its outlets.
How to Become a Franchisee?
Applicants for franchises would need to submit an application in a prescribed format. The selected franchisee will sign a Memorandum of Agreement with the Department .Criteria for selection have been fixed considering the need to select persons with the capacity to manage and market a range of products, along with a sense of the community needs and public aspects of the job, and willingness to accept technological options. For more details Click Here.
Last Updated: 29 March 2019