India Post provides basic international postal services viz. Letters, Post Cards, Aerogramme, Small Packets, Blind Literature, Printed Papers, M Bag (Special bags containing newspapers, periodicals, books and similar printed documentation for the same addressee at same address)
International Letter Post articles can be booked in all the Departmental Post offices across the country.
Letter Post Network
These services are available for 213 destinations across the globe and cover all major destinations.
Registration facility is available for Letters, Small Packets and Printed Papers. Registration charges @ Rs.150/- per article (except M Bag) are payable over and above the applicable postage. The registration charge for M Bag is Rs.750 per bag.
Weight and Size Restrictions
- Letters, Printed papers and Small packets, up to 2 kg
- Items for the blind, up to 7 kg
- M Bags, up to 30 kg
Size Limits for-
The limits of size of items other than postcards and aerogramme is given below:
- Maximum: length, width and depth combined: 900 mm, but the greatest dimension may not exceed 600 mm, with a tolerance of 2 mm; in roll form: length plus twice the diameter: 1,040 mm, but the greatest dimension may not exceed 900 mm, with a tolerance of 2 mm.
- Minimum: to have a surface measuring not less than 90 x 140 mm, with a tolerance of 2 mm; in roll form: length plus twice the diameter: 170 mm: but the greatest dimension may not be less than 100 mm.
Size Limits for-
The limits of size of Post Card is given below:
- 14 cm × 9 cm (length and breadth).
Compensation policy for Registered Letter Post
The compensation to be paid in respect of International Registered article booked in Post Offices in India in case of loss / total theft / total damage are as under:
For loss / total theft / total damage of International Registered article - value of contents or 30 SDR*, whichever is less, plus the postage paid
For partial loss or partial damage or partial theft of International Registered article - compensation paid shall be limited to the value of lost or damaged content. In any case it shall not exceed the corresponding amounts mentioned for International Registered Article in case of loss, total theft or total damage. Postage paid will not be refunded
For loss / total theft / total damage of International Registered M Bag - 150 SDR*
* 1 SDR = INR 105.2438 ( For 2022)
Click here to know more on International Mails Addressing
Packaging Tips Customs Forms and Regula tions
Enquiry about International Registered Mail articles
In case a customer desires to enquire about his/her International Registered Mail article, enquiry may be raised without any charge or fee.
The following items are not accepted under Letter Post:
- Anything which is sent in contravention of any enactment for the time being in force.
- Any indecent or obscene printing, painting, photograph, lithograph, engraving, book or card, or any other indecent or obscene articles.
- Any letter, postcard, newspaper, packet or parcel having on it or on the cover thereof, any words, marks or design of an indecent, obscene, seditious, scurrilous threatening, or grossly offensive nature.
- Any explosive, inflammable, dangerous, filthy, noxious or deleterious substance.
- Any Living creatures or other thing which is either noxious or likely to injure postal article in course of transmission by post or any officer.
- Tickets proposal or advertisement or any other matter relating to a lottery except to the lottery organized or authorized by Government.
Click here to know more on Prohibitions
Basic Tariff for Air Letter-Post Items
|Sr. No||Name of Product||Name of the Country||Weight Slab||Rate (in Rupeess.)|
|1.||Letters||USA||Upto First 20gms||32.00*|
|For every additional 20gms or thereof upto 2000 gms||22.00*|
|For all countries except USA||Upto First 20gms||25.00*|
|For every additional 20gms or thereof upto 2000 gms||15.00*|
|2.||Small Packets||USA||Upto First 100gms||115.00*|
|For every additional 100gms and part thereof upto 2000gms||105.00*|
|For all countries except USA||Upto First 100gms||80.00*|
|For every additional 100gms and part thereof upto 2000gms||70.00*|
|3.||Printed Papers||USA||Upto First 20gms||35.00*|
|For every additional 20gms or thereof upto 2000 gms||25.00*|
|For all countries except USA||Upto First 20gms||27.00*|
|For every additional 20gms or thereof upto 2000 gms||17.00*|
|4.||Blind Literature Packets||For all countries|
|5.||Airmail Post Card||Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh and Bhutan||10.00|
|6.||Aerogramme||For all countries||20.00|
|7.||Mail Bag||For all countries||For a weight not exceeding 5 Kg||700.00*|
|Per Kg. or part exceeding 5 Kg. up to 30 Kg||150.00*|
(* Air Surcharge as per below table is also applicable over and above the mentioned basic tariff)
*Tariff of Air Surcharge
|S. No.||Sector||Tariff for every 20gms|
|1.||Countries in Asia||Rs. 4.00|
|2.||Countries in Europe||Rs. 5.00|
|3.||Countries in Africa||Rs. 5.00|
|4.||Countries in North America and Australia||Rs. 8.00|
|5.||Countries in South America||Rs. 10.00|
|S. No.||Letter-Post Items||Tariff|
|1.||Air Letters, Post Cards and Packets||Rs. 150/-|